Chinese-style Steamed Fish with Tofu
1 salmon, cod or halibut steak
1 package firm tofu, cut into 2" cubes
2 tablespoons oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon ginger, minced*
* According to my grandma, you should only use ginger with cod or halibut. Omit this if you are cooking salmon.
1. Place fish steaks on top of tofu blocks in a 2 inch deep dish or pan that will fit into a steamer or pot that has a lid.
2. Fill steamer/pot with 1-2 inches of water and place dish with tofu and fish on a rack inside the pot, making sure the dish does not touch the water.
3. Steam until fish is opaque. About two minutes before the fish is done, prepare the sauce: heat oil until very hot, add garlic, then green onions and ginger (if using). Cook about a minute, then add soy sauce and cook another minute. Soy sauce will foam up.
4. When the fish is done there should be a few tablespoons of water/fish juice in the dish. If there is too much, pour off excess then pour sauce directly over fish and serve.