| (printer friendly)
(Do not double this recipe! It must be made in separate batches.)
3 1/2 cups mangoes, sliced and peeled (make sure they are barely or just ripe)
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
4 tablespoons ginger, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons chili peppers, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves, tied in a cheesecloth bag
1/2 cups raisins
1/2 of a lemon, thinly sliced
1. Combine prepared mangoes and white and brown sugars. Stir well and let stand overnight.
2. Drain mangoes in a colander, reserving syrup.
3. In a large, heavy pot combine the vinegar, garlic, ginger, salt, chili peppers and cloves (tied in cheesecloth) with the syrup. Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
4. Remove cheesecloth bag of cloves and add mangoes, raisins and lemon and simmer for 20 minutes longer.
5. Spoon into jars (follow proper canning procedures if storing for more than a few weeks) and store in cool dark place. Once opened, chutney can be refrigerated indefinitely, or frozen up to 6 months.
Excellent on roasted pork and grilled salmon!