| (printer friendly)
6 tablespoons sugar
4 egg yolks
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1.5 cups heavy cream, whipped to medium-stiff peaks and refrigerated
1 pint strawberries, washed and hulled
1. Prepare and set aside a big bowl of ice.
2. In small stainless steel bowl, whisk the sugar into the egg yolk until thoroughly combined and lightened in color.
3. Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and continue whisking until it thickens. The mixture is cooked when it's light in color and it trails off the whisk in ribbons. Do not overcook it.
4. Remove from heat and whisk in balsamic. Set the bowl over ice and continue whisking until completely cooled (about 10 minutes). The sabayon will stiffen as it cools.
5. Very gently, fold in the whipped cream and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. (Best served within 8 hours, but will hold overnight.)
6. Serve sabayon draped over strawberries.