| (printer friendly)
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 cups milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
3 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoons cold water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 3/4 cups of the sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Swirl the pan constantly until the sugar melts and caramelizes, turning a golden brown. Pour into a 1 1/2 quart ring mold or round baking dish and quickly tilt the mold so that the caramel covers the bottom and sides. Set aside.
2. In a separate saucepan, combine the milk, remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, vanilla and salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the milk is reduced by half. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
3. Lightly beat the eggs and eggs yolks in a large bowl. Stir the cornstarch and water together and add to the eggs. Slowly pour in the warm milk, stirring constantly. Mix well, strain and pour into the caramel-coated mold.
4. Cover the mold with foil, set in a larger pan and pour 1 inch of boiling water into the outer pan. Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
5. Let the flan cool for 30 minutes to room temperature and then refrigerate, preferably overnight. To serve, invert the mold on a platter. Serve cold.
Note: If the caramel has hardened on the bottom of the mold, quickly place it in a pan of hot water to soften.